By Dr. Sudhansu Pandey, Ayurveda,
Cervical Spondylosis is a prevalent, age-related condition that affects the bones, joints, and discs in your neck. It is a condition that results usually due to the wear and tear of the cartilage and bones in the cervical spine. This leads to chronic, severe pain and stiffness. Although its effects cannot be reversed, you can surely achieve relief by effectively controlling the condition.
Major Causes of Cervical Spondylosis-
- Wear and tear due to aging can be considered to be the major cause.
- Specific physical stresses such as excessive biking, weight lifting, wrong posture, etc are the usual causes.
- Psychological factors such as excessive stress, fear or grief
- Consuming excessive oil & spices, packaged foods, smoking and drinking
Ayurveda – an effective cure for Cervical Spondylosis
Ayurveda has been found to be extremely effective in offering good control over Cervical Spondylosis. According to Ayurveda; Cervical Spondylosis is predominantly caused by an ineffective “Vata”, the principle of movement; which by itself is caused by either obstruction due to malfunctioning of “Kapha” and “Pitta” or by the increase of “Vata” independently. The aggravated Vata and Ama (toxins) cause stiffness and reduce the mobility of the affected areas.
Ayurveda recommends individualized treatment as per patients Prakriti (Basic constitution), and dosha vikruti (vitiated doshas). Ayurveda treatment includes-
- Oral Medication
- Correction of postures, in severe cases cervical collar is adviced
- Neck Exercises
- Some localized treatment gives a magical relief from pain and stiffness like Pottali Massage ( Pottali – small bolus or pack of pain relieving herbs)
- Greeva Basti- Holding medicated oils for a fixed duration of time, over the neck area or nape of the neck
- Nadi Sweda- Steam fomentation of decoction consisting various pain relieving herbs.
The treatment stated above helps in the detoxification and elimination of “Ama” and the diet helps to control the “Vata”, in effect, offering you good control over the condition of Cervical Spondylosis.