By Dr. Mool Chand Gupta, Pulmonology,
Bronchitis can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, since the main symptom of the disease is a persistent cough. Such a cough may even bring up mucus, which can lead to it being misdiagnosed as flu or some other similar diseases. Bronchitis can last for a few days, but in some serious cases, the condition may last for three to four months. This is a chronic form of bronchitis which generally affects smokers and people with lung problems.
How is bronchitis treated?
As soon as bronchitis is confirmed through a diagnostic test, doctors will put patients under certain medications. Cough medicine is often used along with bronchodilators. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications may also be used to limit the swelling of the bronchial tubes. However, bronchitis is one condition that can be prevented easily, by choosing to lead a certain healthy lifestyle. Here is a look at some of the preventative measures that you can follow if you want to avoid bronchitis.
Preventive Measures You Must Know–
- Stop smoking- Smoking is the leading cause behind bronchitis. Smoking tobacco can not only cause an array of problems to your health, it also weakens the entire respiratory system, including the bronchial passage. The best way to prevent a risk of bronchitis is to give up smoking completely.
- Consume onions- Onions contain a compound called quercetin, which is known to protect the lungs from infection. Consuming onions raw may be the best solution, but it can be difficult for some, due to the pungent smell from the vegetable.
- Drink a lot of water- Water and fluids help to clear the lungs through the production of mucus. Essentially, consuming 8 glasses of water each day will help rejuvenate the entire body, and will also keep your respiratory systems in top shape.
- Incorporate spice in your food- Spicy food can sometimes be a good thing. It increases the mucous formation and clears out the nasal passageways, thus also eliminating the risk of bronchitis. However, ensure that the food is not too spicy, as such items can cause bowel problems.
- Practice breathing exercises- Bronchitis can often be prevented by simply taking long breaths. Meditation and breathing exercises can help to minimize the risk of Bronchitis. Practicing such exercises can improve the overall condition of the lungs and will help to keep your respiratory system in good shape.