By Dr. Rahul Gupta, Sexology,
Sexual problems, such as premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, nocturnal emissions, and lack of libido are the most prevalent conditions among men. The incidence of sexual problems is increasing day by day due to undue stress, faulty diet, and lifestyle. All these sexual problems are creating various mental issues, such as depression, anxiety, lack of concentration, and lack of confidence.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is one of the alternative modes of treatment. It includes a holistic approach where both mental as well as physical causations are considered. It is based on three elemental substances, the doshas (called Vata, Pitta, and Kapha). These doshas need to be in the balanced in order to maintain the health while imbalance of the doshas results in disease.
“KAMA” in Ayurveda is responsible for reproduction and pleasure of mind. Thus, impairment of this reproductive ability affects people both physically and mentally.
How does Ayurveda help in treating sexual problems?
Ayurveda restores the unbalanced doshas with the help of herbal preparations. It also focuses on exercise, yoga, meditation, and sattvic diet. Ayurveda also follows the concept of Dinacharya, which means that natural cycles (waking, sleeping, working, meditation, etc.) are important to maintain a healthy life.
Various disease conditions, such as heart diseases, hypertension, thyroid disorders, neurological, and metabolic disorders are the most common conditions which result in sexual problems either directly or indirectly. Various psychological disorders are also causing sexual problems. Ayurveda not only corrects these sexual problems by balancing the doshas, but it also cures the underlying disease.
Various therapies, such as Panchakarma and Vajikaran therapy are also advocated in Ayurveda to treat sexual problems. Vajikaran therapy involves various methods of body cleansing through natural discharges like vomiting, seating, purging, etc. Various herbal preparations of Ayurveda have best effect on variety of sexual problems. Few of them are as follows:
- Ashwagandha: It controls stress levels and it is an aphrodisiac (which increases sexual desire).
- Shilajit: It is given in erectile dysfunction. It helps improve the circulation of blood to the penis.
- Shatavari: Shatavari has great role in infertility. It enhances sperm production naturally.
- Talmakhana: It is used for treating semen anomalies. It improves the sperm quality.
What are the benefits of Ayurvedic treatment in sexual problems?
- These herbs not only correct the sexual problems but also restore vitality and energy.
- These herbs improve the quality and quantity of sperms.
- It also improves other systems, such as digestive and immune systems.
- It also improves sleep disorders which occur due to stress and weakness.
- Yoga and meditation therapies provide calmness and peace of mind which is very necessary for the sexual act. It also improves stamina.