By Dr. Premendra Goyal, Dentistry,
Although the entire population of the word has been accustomed to the practice brushing and flossing teeth for a long time, most people are often surprised to learn that they have not been doing it properly. For example, the minimum time duration required for a person to brush his or her teeth properly is two minutes. However, most people do not even come close.
Basic Dental Hygiene-
These following steps are the easiest ways that can help you remember the ways to care for your teeth, mouth and gums-
- Brush your teeth at least two times in a day. Use fluoride toothpaste for brushing and take at least two minutes. Do this, first thing in the morning as well as before going to bed.
- Floss every day and generally before going to bed.
- Try to limit the number of snacks eaten each day and if possible brush your teeth even then.
- Dental consultations should be done every 6 months. It should include an oral exam as well as professional cleaning of dental plaque.
Tips to follow for proper brushing-
- The toothbrush should be placed at an angle of 45° along the gum line. The toothbrush should move in a back and forth pattern. This should be repeated for each tooth.
- The inside surface of every tooth should be brushed.
- The top (chewing) surface of each tooth should be brushed.
- Use the tip of the brush for brushing behind each tooth, using strokes in every direction to clean thoroughly.
- Your tongue must be brushed so that bacteria that cause odor are removed.
Tips to follow for proper flossing-
- Pull and utilize at least 18-24 inches of dental floss from the dental floss dispenser.
- The floss ends should be wrapped around your middle and index fingers.
- The floss should be held tightly around each tooth, forming a C-shape. Then, the floss should be moved back and forth, utilizing a push-pull action as well as an up-down action against the side of every tooth.