By Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi, Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT),
Our skull is composed of small cavities or dents that remain filled with air. These cavities produce mucus that keeps the airways, and nasal tracts free of allergens and pollutants. However, when these cavities become swollen, as a result of the inflammation of the tissues that rim these activities, they become clogged. When this happens, the mucus and the air get confined in the cavities, which, in turn, exerts pressure on the skull. Therefore, a common sign of sinusitis is a headache. If you have acute sinusitis, natural remedies might not help. In that case, you might have to take the aid of medicines. These are some of the options to treat sinusitis:
- Antibiotics: Sometimes sinusitis is caused as a result of a bacterial infection. In this case, the doctor might prescribe you antibiotics. However, these medicines would not help if your sinusitis is the result of a viral infection. These medicines are usually taken for ten to fourteen days if your condition is acute. But those who have chronic sinusitis might have to take the medicines for a longer period of time.
- Painkillers: Ibuprofen is the most common type of painkillers. These medicines can be bought without a prescription. These;\are the best options when it comes to getting instant relief from sinusitis. However, you must remember that painkillers have side-effects. Therefore, be careful with the dosage. It is better to consult your doctor before taking these medicines.
- Decongestants: Sinusitis is caused when the sinuses get blocked by mucus. Therefore, decongestants can work well to remove the accumulated mucus. These medicines usually come in the form of pills or nasal sprays. You must remember that nasal sprays if taken for more than 4 days can cause more congestion. Therefore, talk to your doctor before taking them.
- Allergy drugs: Sinusitis can also be caused by allergies. To detect whether an allergic reaction is causing this problem, one needs to undergo an allergy test. If an association between sinusitis and allergy is found then the doctors might prescribe antihistamine tablets. Histamine is a chemical that is produced by the antibody immunoglobulin E in response to an allergen. These drugs work to render this chemical ineffective.
- Surgery: This is the best treatment method for those who suffer from acute or chronic sinusitis, that is, the sinus pain keeps recurring. The aim of this surgery is to widen the sinus passages and eliminate the blockages.