By Dr. Rahul Gupta, Sexology,
Erectile dysfunction is the most common male sexual problems, although not voiced out openly. When investigated, it has physiological and psychological reasons. Read to know more and how to manage it. Erectile dysfunction is defined as the repeated inability to achieve and maintain an erection for a healthy sexual relationship.
- Erections are too soft and not sufficient for penetration and intercourse
- Too brief erections, not allowing for a happy and healthy sexual intercourse
- Inability arousal
- Increases with age, and it is common in men over 60 years of age
- History of diabetes
- Excessive alcohol abuse
- Sedentary lifestyle with no exercise
- Chronic conditions
- Surgical procedures in the groyne like for prostate, bladder, etc.
- Long-term medicine use (antihypertensives, antidepressants, etc.)
- Performance anxiety
- Strained relationships
- Various life stressors
- Reduced hormone levels
- Above noted ones like prior surgery, chronic conditions, etc.
The good news is that ED is treatable at any age.
- A detailed medical history including sexual history
- Physical examination looking for poor circulation and genital abnormalities
- Testosterone levels (testosterone) should be measured to ensure there is sufficient hormone in the system
- Blood pressure, sugar, and cholesterol levels also need to be measured to ensure control
- Heart disease needs to be established
Remedies for ED-
ED is treatable at any age. The total treatment in Ayurveda for impotence is called as “ Vajikarana therapy”. As this natural herbal erectile dysfunction remedy, increases the strength of a man to perform sexual act.
Eligibility for Vajikarana Therapy:
The vajikarana therapy should be administered to persons who are between 18 to 70 years of age. These therapies should be administered only to a self controlled person. If this therapy is administered to a person who does not have self control, he becomes nuisance to society through his illegitimate sex acts.
Decreasing anxiety associated with intercourse, with psychologically based treatment helps to cure ED.
Numerous herbal preparations are mentioned in Ayurveda to treat ED or impotence. The preparations supply the nutrients which are necessary for production of semen.
Ayurveda Tips to Overcome ED-
- Consuming herbal preparations to rejuvenate the reproductive organs.
- Massaging the body with a herbal oil which gives a relief from physical exertion and also acts as aphrodisiac.
- Practicing Yoga and Meditation to overcome mental exertion and to cope up with stress.
- Sleep at least for 8 hours a day.
- Avoiding the consumption of alcohol, tobacco, heroin etc.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
- Favor sweets, milk products, nuts and urad dal.
- Add little ghee in your diet.
- Give a gap of four days between two consecutive intercourses