By Dr. Sudhir Bhola , Sexology
Male impotency is a medical condition in which a person experiences difficulty in achieving or maintaining an erection. This may lead to low self-esteem or additional family tensions. But it is normal, for all men aged 30 to 70 experience erectile dysfunction at some point in time. It gradually increases with age.
Causes for Impotence-
Here are the most common reasons for experiencing the condition:
1. Endocrine Diseases: Common endocrine diseases such as diabetes affects the nerve functionality, causing a person to lose sensation in the penis and the level of hormones in the body.
2. Neurological Disorders: Neurological disorders like
- Temporal lobe epilepsy
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s Disease
3. Lifestyle Factors: Generally, educated men experience less cases of impotency due to healthier lifestyle choices. Abuse of alcohol and drugs such as amphetamines or cocaine affect the ability to maintain an erection.
4. Additionally, depression and trauma pose a risk for impotency.
There are various treatment options available for impotence:
1. Prescribed Medication: Medical interventions for treating the condition of impotence include:
- Blood vessel surgery
- Testosterone replacement
2. Lifestyle Changes: A healthier lifestyle can be a major factor in reducing erectile dysfunction, of which a few examples are:
- Controlling habits such as drinking and smoking
- Reducing stress and anxiety
- Following a well-balanced diet and exercise routine
Though many people do not readily admit to having erectile dysfunction, it is advisable to approach your doctor when it becomes a consistent problem. It can be very much treated, and will not affect your sex life when proper preventive measures are taken.