By Dr. Jyoti Girotra Gandhi, Ayurveda,
When hair follicles are clogged with dead skin cells, it causes a long term disease called acne which is characterized by regions of blackhead, pimples etc. In Ayurvedic terms, it is known as Youvana Pidaka where Youvana means youth and Pidaka means a skin eruption.
According to Ayurveda, the causes of acne include over usage of cosmetics, excess consumption of non-vegetarian food, consumption of fried and junk food and night awakening.
- Washing 3-4 times a day
- Using simple Ayurvedic home remedies
- Complexion enhancers like sandalwood, turmeric paste
- Coolants and soothing items
- Herbs: Herbs having astringent and severe tastes are detoxifying in nature. Astringent taste dries the oil (sebum) and bitter herbs like neem and turmeric rinses the skin inflammation due to its anti-bacterial effect. Some of such herbs are listed below:
- Haridra (Turmeric): Reduces oily nature of skin.
- Nimba (Neem): Renowned blood-purifier and prevents further damage to skin.
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus): Acts as a coolant and enhances skin complexion. It is also a good blood purifier.
- Daruharidra: Reduces acne scars.
- Rakta Chandana (Red Sandal): Improves blood circulation.
- Amalaki (Indian Gooseberry – Amla): Nourishes blood and skin
- Ashwagandha, Shatavari and Ashoka: Corrects hormonal imbalance.
- Acne needs complete treatment which should eliminate the toxins of the body, open up the blocked channels, purify Ras and Rakta Dhatu and balance the hormones in the body. Now-a-days even young males with acne have
started resorting to treatment because they know it is just not cosmetic in nature but a skin disorder.
- In case of extreme acne cases, Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatments like Virechana (purgation treatment) and Vamana (vomiting therapy) are very effective.