By Dr. Saloni Raghuwanshi , Ayurveda,
Not everyone has the time for a full-fledged yoga session every day due to hectic lifestyles. However, dedicating 10-15 minutes of your time in the morning every day after you wake up to some light yoga can help you re-energise yourself and prepare you to tackle the stresses of daily life. Begin your day with these 5 yoga poses to awaken your body and mind, stretch your spine and release any tension or stiffness in your body so that every day starts with a smile.
Raised arms pose
- Breathe in and lift your arms above your head and then backwards.
- Make sure your upper arms are close to your ears.
- Stretch your entire body while breathing deeply.
- For a better stretch, push your pelvis region out a little bit.
This pose helps open up the heart and aids in widening of the airways in the lungs. It stretches out your chest and abdomen and releases any tension.
- Breathing in, bend forward from your waist while keeping the spine erect.
- Exhale and bring your hands to the floor beside your feet.
- Try to keep your knees straight.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds.
This pose increases blood flow to the head and brain thus clearing your mind and also reinvigorates your nervous system to help you keep a clear head all day.
- From the forward bend pose, push your right leg back as far as you can.
- In the meantime, keep the left leg bent without changing its position.
- Keep the palms of your bands on the floor beside your feet.
- Arch your back a little and tilt your head backwards slightly.
- Look straight forward and hold.
The equestrian pose has a number of health benefits – it strengthens and improves flexibility in the legs. It stimulates the kidneys, liver and lengthens the spine
Downward dog pose
- Start the pose on all fours.
- Keep your hands level with your shoulders.
- Slowly lift your hips while keeping your hands on the ground.
- Keep the spine straight and your feet at hip length.
- Keep your head hanging free or look up at the belly button.
- Breathe regularly and hold for 4-8 breaths.
This pose opens up the lungs and stimulates the brain and nervous system, improving memory and concentration.
- Start the pose by lying on your stomach with your toes flat on the floor.
- Put your hands on the floor under your shoulders with the palms down and elbows parallel.
- Breathe in and slowly lift your head and chest off the floor while keeping your lower abdomen on the floor
- Pull your shoulders back with the support of your hands.
- Hold the pose for 30 seconds while breathing regularly.
This pose is beneficial for the spine and improves its flexibility. It opens up the lungs and improves blood flow to the abdomen, aiding in digestion.
Practise these 5 poses every morning to start your day with a smile and be prepared to tackle anything the day brings.