By Dr. Ajaya Kashyap, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery,
A tummy tuck is also known as an abdominoplasty. A tummy tuck is a form of cosmetic surgery in which excess fat and skin are removed from the abdomen and the muscles in your abdomen are tightened as well. It is not the same thing as liposuction and it is also true that liposuction and the tummy tuck surgery can be performed at the same time.
- Stop Smoking: It is not good enough to reduce smoking. You have to completely stop it two weeks prior to the surgery to two weeks after the surgery.
- Get your home ready for after the surgery: It is crucial that you have a friend or family member to help you with your daily activities as this is a major surgery. This friend or family member should also be able to drive you home after the surgery. You should also get petroleum jelly, ice packs and comfortable, loose clothing that will not rub against the abdomen.
Procedure- You will first be given a general anesthetic after which your surgeon will remove excess fat and skin from your abdomen by making a small cut just above your belly button. He will then put a small elastic bandage to help heal better.
- Pain Medications: Pain medications will be administered so that you can resume normal activities as soon as possible. However, it may still take several weeks or even months to do so.
- Sitting and Lying Down: It is crucial to follow your doctor’s instructions when it comes to sitting and lying down as he will recommend certain postures which will give you less pain as compared to others.
- Caring for the Bandage: It is just as important to follow the doctor’s instructions on how to clean and put on the bandage as otherwise, you may get an infection.