By Ivf Nashik, IVF Speciality
IVF or in vitro fertilisation is defined as assisted reproductive technology. It is a process where the eggs are extracted and fertilized with sperm, after retrieving it in a laboratory dish. The resulting embryo is then placed in the uterus for implantation and inducing pregnancy. It is generally adopted by couples who have been unsuccessful in having a baby through natural or intrauterine insemination. However, like every medical procedure, IVF too has certain benefits and drawbacks which should be taken into account.
Here is a list of the pros and cons of IVF:
- Gives you the chance to conceive- Couples struggling to have a baby due to medical complications get a chance to conceive. The various complications that prevent a pregnancy are -
- Blocked fallopian tubes- It is a cause of infertility among women. The condition generally occurs due to previous infections such as chlamydia or appendicitis.
- Male infertility- The cause of male infertility may be due to low sperm count or low sperm motility in which cases IVF becomes the best possible option to have a baby.
- Couples having genetic disorders- Genetic abnormalities often get passed down to your baby. An IVF procedure provides a safer and guaranteed chance of a healthy baby.
- Women do not have to worry about their biological clock- The procedure of IVF involves the fertilization of an egg and a sperm in a laboratory. The resulting embryo can be kept for a future pregnancy by freezing the embryo through embryo cryopreservation.
- Infection in the bladder- The retrieval process may cause infection and bleeding in the bladder.
- Multiple pregnancies- IVF carries the risk of multiple pregnancies. In multiple pregnancies, the chances of premature delivery and low birth weight increases.
- Ectopic pregnancy- Ectopic pregnancy is defined as the implantation of the embryo outside the uterus. The chance of an ectopic pregnancy is 2 to 5 percent for IVF treatment.
- Expensive- The process of IVF is highly expensive. Moreover, insurance companies do cover IVF costs and related expenses.
- Emotional and psychological stress- Due to the 50-50 chance of failure and success of IVF, couples often go through an emotional rollercoaster and psychological stress due to financial burden and the frequent visits to the doctor’s office.
Couples thinking of undergoing IVF treatment should consider this pros and cons before going for IVF.