By Dr. Sunil Prakash, Nephrology
Kidneys are a pair of bean-shaped organs that are situated behind the abdomen. The primary function of the kidney is to filter blood from the body. It removes various wastes and maintains the electrolyte balance of the body. So now that you know what role this organ plays, it is essential that you keep them healthy.
Here are some tips to keep your kidneys in fighting shape:
- Drink sufficient water throughout the day: You need to drink at least 2-3 liters of water on a regular basis. A good indicator of whether you are drinking sufficient water is the color of your urine. In case your urine is darker than usual, it might be indicative of dehydration.
- Maintain a healthy diet: In order to keep your kidneys healthy, you need to be on a well-balanced diet. A diet that has a healthy mix of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, Vitamins and minerals is the ideal diet; your kidneys will thank you later.
- Keep your blood pressure under control: Keep a regular tab on your blood pressure levels; a significant rise in your blood pressure can be bad news for those bean-shaped organs. The kidneys consist of a large number of arteries which supply blood and high blood pressure can cause these arteries to harden or become narrow.
- Abstain from smoking and limit alcohol intake: Although a drink or two one or may be twice a week is good, binge drinking and smoking at the same time can spell tremendous gloom for the kidneys. Alcohol consumption and smoking tend to raise your blood pressure and this can wreak havoc on your kidneys.
- Lose weight: Being overweight can increase your blood pressure; so if you are reaching out for a donut while reading this, stop! Get off the couch and hit the road (the jogging track) to part ways with those obstinate kilos and lay off large portions of food to keep the extra weight away.