By Dr. Vijay Dagar, Ayurveda
Anus is the external open through which output of stool takes place. Sometimes, one of the glands of the anus forms an abscess which may drain out spontaneously or may require surgical treatment. This then develops into a fistula, which is a small tunnel that connects the inner side of the skin of the anus to the end of the bowel.
What causes Anal fistulas?
In most cases anal fistulas are caused by abscess- a kind of cavity. Sometimes fistulas can also be a result of –
- Crohn’s disease- It is a condition where the stomach becomes inflamed.
- An infection of tuberculosis.
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
- Diverticulitis – Infection in the large intestine (colon.)
- Complications of surgery in the anus.
Symptoms of anal fistulas usually include:
- Itching around the anus.
- Smelly discharge.
- Constant pain which worsens while sitting or during bowel movement.
- Fever and fatigue.
- Swelling around the anus.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Anal Fistula:
This condition requires total change in diet of the patient and change in the daily routine in terms of sleep habits, meal timings etc. Along with this, natural medicine from Ayurveda for several months can cure anal fistula completely.
A nutritional diet is very important for the patient coupled with health supplements to boost up the energy and for healing anal fistula.
Cure Anal Fistula:
- Triphala Guggul – Triphala guggul is a completely herbal product which is also mentioned in the vedas. Although it primarily functions as a laxative it also has anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It helps in improving the circulation of blood in the rectal region.
- Nirgundi Oil – Nirgundi oil is made from vitex nigundo plant. It is the best herbal anti biotic and also has the property of anti-inflammatory. It helps in reducing pain, inflammation and congestion. It helps in healing fistula and soothing the area by regulating blood circulation.
- Varachurna – This Ayurvedic medicine is great for cleansing the colon and it helps in rectifying constipation and is a natural detoxifier. It strengthens immunity, reduces swelling and improves liver function.
- Curcumin – Curcumin is an effective chemical component which is primarily found in turmeric. This herbal medicine is very effective in regulating digestive, circulatory and the respiratory system. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and being an anti-biotic. It is also a tonic for blood purifier and skin diseases.
How does Kshar Sutra works in fistula-in-ano?
The Kshar Sutra is placed in the fistulous tract after giving appropriate anesthesia and both its ends are tied together. It is replaced at weekly intervals. The Kshar sutra remains in direct contact of the tract and, therefore, it physically and chemically curettes out the tract and sloughs out its lining, thereby allowing it to collapse and heal. It is a less invasive, cost efficient treatment. The complications are minimal; chances of loss of sphincter control and resulting anal incontinence are very low.