By Dt. Sheenu Sanjeev,Dietitian/Nutritionist
Nutrition and fitness during pregnancy are emphasized upon because they affect health of both the mother and the child. Many women stop exercising during pregnancy; however, doctors advice eating whole foods and doing light exercises as they will keep you fit during your pregnancy phase.
Here are some tips regarding diet and exercise during your pregnancy:
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits: Include plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet as they provide your body with all the essential nutrients. They contain antioxidants which promote good health. Vegetables are also rich in fiber which promote satiety.
- Drink lots of water: Replenish your body with adequate levels of water; otherwise it can lead to dehydration. This can lead to fatigue and a sluggish metabolism.
- Strengthen your pelvic floor: Your pelvic floor muscles provide support to the uterus, facilitate bladder and bowel control. Exercises for the pelvic floor muscles also improve spine strength and posture. They also help tone the abdomen muscles after childbirth.
- Warm up: It is important to warm up before starting a workout; it helps in improving blood circulation and mobility in the joints. Not warming up before working out can lead to neuromuscular injuries.
- Choosing the right exercises: It is important to choose the right exercises when you are pregnant. You should avoid doing high impact exercises such as sprinting and heavy weightlifting. You should rather try and do light workouts such as yoga and casual swimming.
- Get adequate rest: Get adequate levels of rest to replenish your energy levels. Not getting enough rest may lead to fatigue and irritability. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist and ask a free question.