By Dr. Vijay Dagar, Ayurveda
A fistula is any connection between two organs or parts of the human body, which does not occur normally. These connections can seriously affect the normal functioning of the two body parts linked together. Even though most people think of a rectal disorder when they hear of fistulas, the same can occur at any other spot of the human body, such as the vagina, skin and more.
Different Kinds of Fistulas
- Fistula of the urinary tract- There are three kinds of fistulas that occur in the urinary tract. The first one occurs between the bladder and the uterus. The second form of urinary tract fistula occurs between the vagina and the bladder. Lastly, a link may also get formed between the urethra and the vagina.
- Anal fistulas- In this form of the disorder, a link may be formed between the anal canal and the skin surrounding the anus. Similarly, such a connection may be formed between the rectum and the vagina. Another form of the condition causes a connection to be formed between the colon and the vagina.
Role of Ayurveda in Treating Fistulas
Several remedies have been developed that can substantially decrease the intensity of fissures and the problems related to the same. Here is a look at some Ayurvedic remedies that battle against the debilitating condition.
- Triphala Guggul- Made by combining two of the most important ingredients in the Ayurvedic branch of medicine, Triphala is in charge of regulating the bowel movement, while Guggul increases the defence mechanism of the body. Apart from the anal fistulas, the same medication can also be effective against other forms of the condition, due to its ability to enhance blood circulation throughout the body.
- Vara churna- Another effective and safe Ayurvedic remedy against fistulas, the medicine is made by combining Amalaki, Haritaki and Bibhitaki. It not only helps clean the colon but also helps provide relief to patients suffering from constipation.
- Nirgundi Oil- One of the most reliable analgesics, anti-inflammatories and one of the best muscle relaxants, the oil is very effective against fistulas. The oil heals the fistula and treats the damage caused by enhancing the blood circulation.
Proper diet and lifestyle are also highly effective against fistulas. Food items with high fibre content help with proper bowel movement and relieve symptoms related to constipation. Lastly, an active lifestyle is also useful to prevent fistulas and the aggravation of the same