Gallstone Surgery – Know About Its Post-Surgical Care!

Gallstone Surgery – Know About Its Post-Surgical Care!


By Dr. Avaneesh Hasiza,General Surgery

Gallbladder is a small digestive structure that acts as a storage sac of bile and also as connecting sac of liver secretions with the duodenum. When stones are formed in this gallbladder or in its path towards the intestine it is called as gallstones. These gallstones are made up of cholesterol, calcium salts and bile salts. These stones thereby occlude the pathway of bile juice from traveling towards the duodenum for digestion of fatty food items. Removal of this gallbladder is called as cholecystectomy.


There are two common type of gallstone surgery:

  • Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy -The surgeon makes an incision on the abdominal skin and special laparoscopic instruments are inserted through the hole to reach the gall bladder. The laparoscope has a camera to guide the entry of the instrument for the surgeon. The stone is crushed into small pieces and is removed through the scope.
  • Open cholecystectomy -The surgeon makes a wide open incision to remove the gallbladder. It is much essential to note the bleeding and clotting factors and other blood profile of the person before laparotomy.

Post-Surgical Care:

  • After a gallstone surgery, the patient can return back to their home within a day but if it is an open surgery the person needs at least one week of hospitalization.
  • The patient may feel mild pain over the shoulders which are generally relieved with the painkillers.
  • Encourage the patient to cough frequently with support to the surgical site to remove the secretions accumulated in the lungs as an effect on anesthesia given during surgery.
  • Advice the patient to initiate mobilization as early as possible after the surgery to get relieve the effect of anesthesia sooner.
  • The person can get back to their normal routine in 7-10days if it is a laparoscopic surgery and 2-3 wks if it is an open laparotomy surgery.

If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a specialized general-surgeon and ask a free question.