By Dr. Monty Talwar, Homeopathy
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn’t treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease.
Most women with PCOS grow many small cysts on their ovaries. That is why it is called polycystic ovary syndrome. The cysts are not harmful but lead to hormone imbalances.
The major problems associated with polycystic ovaries are that the woman’s ovaries do not produce eggs and her body produces too many hormones called as androgens which is a male hormone, responsible for facial hair. The hypothalamus, an important part of the brain responsible for the regulation of such hormones is strongly affected by emotional and psychological factors such as repressed pain from the past, love disappointment, business failure, performance pressure etc.
The most prominent stress to suppress ovarian function and hence menstrual irregularity or no menses and facial hair in women is a negative feeling about being female or feeling inferior. Some may feel guilt and fear about their need for parental care and protection and fear losing their protection. They may also have a suppressed rage against their Mothers. Such psychological factors play a very vital role in PCOD, which is becoming an epidemic in Indian society due to gender inequality by which women feel compelled to perform and remain in competition and perform similar to male and hence androgens, a male hormone comes in action.
Common symptoms include:
- Sudden weight gain or weight loss issues
- Acne breakouts
- Excess hair on body and face
- Irregularities in one’s periods
- Fertility problems
- Frequent mood swings
Homeopathy for PCOS:
When it comes to alternative systems or complementary treatments for PCOS, Homeopathy offers the best alternative. This is because Homeopathy focuses on treating and curing the root cause of the problem. The Homeopathic philosophy of disease is not based on the external causes of diseases. Homeopathy believes that the human body has been perfectly enabled by nature to keep itself disease free. It is only when the immunity or its own internal vitality is deranged that the body becomes incapable of keeping itself disease free. Therefore Homeopathy tries to restore the balance of that vitality. Once the vitality regains its original balance, it is able to nurse itself back to health without any external aid. That is why homeopathic medicines are given in very minute doses.
The focus of treatment using homeopathy is to address and cure the primary causes behind the occurrence of PCOS and thus, can be regarded as the best form of alternative treatment.
Some homeopathic medicines are listed below:
- Pulsatilla- This medication can be taken in case you often have to bear the brunt of irregular and scanty periods. Symptoms that would require the administration of this medicine will include feeling thirsty often, getting irritated easily and experiencing rather frequent mood swings.
- Apis Mellifica- This homeopathic medication is recommended for patients diagnosed with PCOS along with a burning pain around their ovarian region. Additionally, there might be a feeling of tenderness over the uterine and abdominal regions.
- Sepia- Treatment of PCOS wherein the pain is confined to the abdomen and the lower back regions can be carried out using this form of homeopathic medication. Your periods might be irregular and can be either too late or too early.
- Graphites- Graphites, as a homeopathic medication, is highly recommended for people having been diagnosed with PCOS along with constipation. The patients usually experience sharp pain in the stomach along with delayed periods.
- Lachesis- Lachesis is a recommended homeopathic remedy for women who tend to avoid wearing tight clothes during their menstrual cycles. The periods might slow down due to the weaker flow. Resumption of the flow results in the abdominal pain being relieved.
These are just a few of the commonly used Homeopathic remedies and are mentioned only to create awareness about the effectiveness of Homeopathic medicines for PCOS. It is not advisable to resort to self-medication for any disease.