By Pooja Choudhary, Gynaecology
Pregnant women are very vulnerable during their labor, and in this period, they are susceptible to all kinds of deadly diseases like Influenza and Whooping cough. The intensity of these diseases is so high that it not only affects the mother but also the child they are harbouring.
To keep mothers and babies protected from these diseases, modern medicine has found a vaccine that may prevent them.
The vaccination, called TDAP, is a cocktail of vaccines that is designed to protect the mother from three deadly diseases: Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis. This vaccination, if taken at the right time, can prove to be life saving for both the mother and the baby.
Overview of the Diseases
• Tetanus is a deadly virus that enters the body through a wound and uses blood as a vehicle to move around. The Tetani virus affects the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the brain, it also causes severe muscle spasms and a condition called Lockjaw, which makes a patient unable to open their mouth to have food and water.
• Diphtheria: This is also a deadly virus that causes breathing difficulties in patients and can damage the heart and the nervous system beyond repair.
• Pertussis, which is also known as Whooping Cough, is a respiratory disease which can affect both the mother and the child. This disease causes uncontrolled coughing series which makes it hard for the patient to breathe in between coughing.
• Influenza: The TDAP vaccine also protects the mother and the child from Influenza, which is also known as the common cold. Though it sounds very trivial, common cold is one of the biggest causes of infant death around the world and it is very contagious.
Who Should Take This Vaccine?
• Adults who are travelling abroad should take this vaccine as they are vulnerable to a different environment.
• People who work in the hospital are very susceptible to this disease as they are in constant contact with the patients having these diseases
• Pregnant women should take this vaccine on their third trimester, which is between the 26th and the 36th week. This vaccine will be responsible for protecting the baby they are carrying as well, that is why they should take the vaccine again even if they have taken it before.
Who Shouldn’t Take This Vaccine?
• Patients who show allergic reactions to any of the vaccines in combination shouldn’t take this vaccine, or consult the doctor before taking it. • If a person suffered from seizures in the first week of taking this vaccine in the past.
• A person who suffers from Epilepsy should consult the doctor before taking the vaccine
• A person suffering from Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) should consult the doctor before taking this vaccine.
Conclusion: Deadly diseases are all around us but there are also solutions like TDAP Vaccine that protects us from them. This vaccine can greatly help pregnant mothers in giving birth to a healthy kid.