By Dt. Ushma Chheda, Dietitian/Nutritionist
The key to a healthy and happy life is to keep your body weight under control. Obesity acts as a catalyst to several diseases. People with too many extra pounds are more prone to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and depression. But, what’s the best way of shedding off the unwanted pounds? Well, an effective weight loss programme is not just about sweating it out on the treadmill. A balanced diet is essential for a healthy body.
Besides, there are certain foods that enhance the process of weight loss. These foods have high thermogenic value, i.e. ability to burn a good amount of calories. Here are five foods that can give you the perfect body that you always crave for:
- Moong dal: It is every Indian’s favourite whichever class he/she belongs to. This dal is full of Vitamin A, B, C and E and many minerals, such as calcium, iron and potassium. It is often advised by dieticians to replace fatty foods with Moon dal as it is a weight loss food that is rich in proteins and fibre, so one feels fuller after having a bowl of dal for a long time and curbs your cravings. Along with weight loss, moon dal it also benefits the metabolism, immune system and protects against fatal diseases.
- Spinach: This green veggie is rich in fiber, water, antioxidants, vitamins K and A, and minerals like magnesium, potassium, and iron. All this just in 10 calories per cup of this amazing weight loss food! One bowl of spinach will make you feel fuller and stab your food craving in your stomach itself.
- Apples: Apple is one of the best weight loss foods, having this great fruit a day not only keeps the doctor away but also makes you skinnier. With 4 gms of fiber in a medium apple, they can make you feel fuller for a longer time as the fiber take time to break down. Apples are a sweet and crunchy snack full of all sorts of nutritional goodness.
- Radish: Like other types of vegetables, cooked radish contains approximately 3 grams of fiber per half cup to help you stay full and satisfied. Radish are considered as starchy vegetables, so it is recommended to be eaten in place of rice, bread or other starchy foods. They work best as weight loss foods.
- Tomatoes: This weight loss food boosts your energy, stabilizes your blood sugar levels, controls your appetite, detoxifies your body and reduces cholesterol. Tomatoes are also low in calories, a plus for any dieter.