By Dt. Ms. Janvi Chitalia, Dietitian/Nutritionist
About 25 million people all over the world are affected by eye problems such as age-linked muscular degeneration and cataracts. In most cases, such diseases are usually caused by oxidation or inflammation of the eyes. Studies have found that a diet rich in nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin can help reduce chances of chronic eye problems. Research has also suggested that foods rich in Vitamins E and C, beta carotene, omega-3 fatty acids and zinc are beneficial in preventing advanced age related eye diseases.
Following is a list of the top 5 foods that help to improve your vision and prevent eye-diseases:
1. Corn: It is not just a tasty treat for your taste buds but it is also a good source of lutein and zeaxanthin. Studies have suggested that cooking corn for long can increase the levels of lutein and antioxidants per serving.
2. Leafy Greens: Greens such as kale and spinach are rich sources of lutein and zeaxanthin. Peas, broccoli and avocados are also excellent sources of this antioxidant duo.
3. Fish: Sea fishes such as tuna, sardines, mackerel and salmon are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids that are very beneficial for the eyes. Omega-3 fatty acids can protect eyes against dryness, cataract and macular degeneration.
4. Eggs: Eggs contain vitamin A and lutein which protects the eye against problems such as night blindness and eye dryness. It also helps to promote proper functioning of the nerves and muscles related to the eyes.
5. Berries and Citrus fruits: Apart from being delicious, berries like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries offer a number of benefits for your eyes and health. Citrus fruits such as orange, lemons and grapefruits are also rich sources of Vitamin C that can help prevent muscular degeneration of eyes and promote healthy development and maintenance of vision.