By Dr. Ritesh Gehlot, General Physician
Stomach pain is a common disorder that can affect you at any age. Majority of the causes are not very serious, so they can be treated very easily. It is characterized by a sensation of pain around the abdomen which may range from moderate to severe. In some cases, the pain may also indicate an underlying condition that may be serious in nature.
The causes of stomach pain are:
- You may experience stomach pain due to indigestion and acid reflux.
- Gas or bloating.
- Viral infections may cause pain in the stomach.
- Food poisoning and food allergies.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which leads to irregular bowel movements.
- Presence of stones in the gallbladder.
- Presence of ulcers in the stomach.
The symptoms of stomach pain are:
- You may run a temperature.
- An inability to pass stool.
- You may feel more thirsty than usual.
- Tenderness in the abdomen.
- Pain during urination.
- You may also vomit blood.
- Breathing difficulties.
If you experience pain for an extended period of time, then you should consult a doctor. The doctor will carry out a diagnosis and prescribe treatments accordingly. You may be prescribed medications to control inflammation and/or antibiotics. If the cause of pain is appendicitis, then surgery may be required to treat the condition. You can also prevent the condition by avoiding junk foods and replacing them with natural foods.