By Dr. Laqa Sultan, Gynaecology
Birth control is a way to prevent unwanted pregnancy. Increase in awareness about birth control measures helps partners plan their childbearing in a better way.
Methods of Birth Control-
1) The most effective birth control methods are intrauterine devices (IDUs) that are often ‘T’ shaped and inserted in the uterus.
2) Sterilization is a process of birth control that makes a person incapable of reproducing. It is often undergone intentionally and is available in both surgical and non-surgical forms.
3) Oral pills and condoms are the most commonly used measures for birth control. Condoms and femidom (female condom) are known to reduce sexually transmitted diseases.
Oral contraceptive pill is the mostly used measure birth control by women across the world. Birth control pills are the most convenient ways of postponing pregnancy, but it is very essential that you know the side effects of these pills. It causes changes in the body, some of which are irregular bleeding, increase in the size of breasts, rise in blood pressure levels and infertility.
Benefits of Birth Control Pills-
Besides keeping you from becoming pregnant these pills have certain benefits. Some of the benefits are as under:
1) These pills are believed to regularize your periods. It makes the lining of your uterus thin thereby restoring heavy menstrual bleeding and lowering the risk of anemia.
2) Improves skin and reduces acne. Oral pills reduce the hormones (androgen and testosterone) that cause skin darkening.
3) There are rumors that pills are responsible for cancer but the fact is that pills act as a protection against ovarian and uterus cancer.
4) It relieves from menstrual pains. Oral pills can also reduce the risk of cyst of ovaries since it prevents ovulation.
Birth control measures helps people to decide for better family planning and have safe sex with their partners.