By Dr. Nikhil Pendse, Cardiology
CABG or also known as Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting is one of the most common types of open heart surgery in many parts of the world. There are different names in which CABG can be described as well as – Bypass surgery or Heart Bypass surgery.
CABG can be used to treat serious and very important heart diseases. However, not everyone who has a CHD needs to be treated with CABG.
In CABG or angioplasty, a small tube or mesh which is called the stent is placed in an artery so that it remains open and the surgery can be efficiently carried out. CABG is a brilliant option when you have different kinds of blockages in the large coronary arteries. If your heart pumping action has decreased then CABG is also effective. Blockages in the cardiovascular chambers can also be treated with the help of CABG.
Benefits of Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting:
Here are some important benefits which can be obtained when you undergo CABG:
● Improves your lifestyle and physical fitness and decreases angina and CHD symptoms.
● Allows you to efficiently carry on with a more active lifestyle normally without risks.
● CABG improves the pumping action of your heart significantly.
● CABG brings down the risk of a heart attack significantly and increases your chances of survival.
So the benefits of CABG are pretty amazing because it helps you to improve your overall lifestyle and increases the physical fitness to significant levels.
Who Needs CABG?
CABG is required and essential for many people based on the type of problems they have. Here are some of the most common candidates of Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting.
● People who have serious coronary heart disease which can lead to a heart attack anytime.
● CABG can also be carried out on those who have recovered from a heart attack but still have different arteries blocked.
● CABG can be recommended to those who could not recover via medicines and lifestyle changes.
● Patients with decreased heart pumping rate are also very common candidates of CABG.
So here are the different candidates of CABG who requires the surgery to improve their medical condition.
Types Of Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
There are different kinds of CABG which are conducted on the person based on different conditions. Here are the kinds of CABG which you should be aware of.
● Traditional CABG - The most common type of CABG which is carried out when at least one of the major artery needs to undergo a surgery and the beating heart is stopped using medicines.
● Off-Pump CABG - Almost similar to traditional CABG but in this process, the heart is not stopped and no machines are also used.
● Minimally Invasive Direct CABG - Small incisions are made all around the heart instead of big cut like traditional or Off-Pump CABG.
So here are the different kinds of CABG which are commonly carried out on different candidates of CABG.