By Dr. Kalpesh Mande, Ayurveda
Ayurveda offers a holistic and all-encompassing approach towards pain relief. Depending on your personal needs, tailor the following guidelines to relieve any pain you might be experiencing in your back or neck.
- Relax: Easier said than done, true, especially when your back has been hurting all day long, but try. Try to take deep, steady breaths to relax your mind and the body will follow.
- Get A Massage: A massage with aromatic oils can help relieve any stiffness you might be feeling in your neck or back muscles and joints. It improves blood circulation and helps relax the body.
- Diet: Never underestimate the role of healthy food as a healer. A nourishing diet devoid of excess fats and sugar can help maintain a healthy body and mind.
- Yoga: Simple yoga postures can help you stretch and flex your muscles. One of the simplest yoga poses is the Cobra pose.
- You need to start by lying with your face downwards and your forehead resting on the ground. Place your hands palms down near the middle of your ribcage. Stretch your joined legs such that they are as elongated they can be. Focusing your strength on the back and not your arms try to lift your head and chest upwards. Take 5-10 steady, deep breaths before you revert slowly back to the original position. This pose will help you stretch your neck and back and also improve your flexibility.
- Herbs and Spices: All you might need to relieve your pain can probably be found sitting on your kitchen counter. A number of herbs and spices can be used for pain relieving properties. These include-
- Turmeric: With anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric is excellent at treating muscle pain. All you need to do is drink a glass of lukewarm milk with a tablespoon of turmeric and honey in it, twice a day.
- Ginger: A cup of tea with a bit of ginger in it can reduce the inflammation causing the back and neck pain. It also helps improve blood circulation in the stiff muscles.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: A single application of a compress made of a piece of cloth soaked in apple cider vinegar can work wonders.
If you are in pain, it is going to affect your mood not to mention your sleep. These measures will help you get rid of the pain and stay relaxed.