By Dr. Prashant K Vaidya,Homeopathy
What is PCOS or PCOD (Stein-Leventhal Syndrome)?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome is a condition in which a woman has an imbalance of a female sex hormones. This may lead to menstrual cycle changes, cysts in the ovary, trouble getting pregnant, and other health changes.. PCOS is a hormonal disorder affecting 10-15% of women, worldwide.
While the cause is unknown, excessive amounts of androgenic (male) hormone, lack of ovulation and enlargement of the ovary causes menstrual irregularities and infertility. Endometrial cancer, diabetes, miscarriage and obesity are some of the key risks associated with PCOS.
Management of PCOD primarily involves prescribing a constitutional Homeopathic remedy capable of working on the ovaries and the entire endocrinal system. This approach usually helps in correcting the pathology associated with PCOD.
There are numerous remedies capable of influencing this condition. The remedy prescribed is chosen after carefully understanding your entire constitution, which includes:
- Presence of any genetic predisposition
- Physical makeup (obesity)
- Peculiarities of your menstrual cycle
- Your entire physical and personality characteristics
- Based on the cases treated and being treated at HRD centres we can conclude that Homeopathy:
- Is a safe, complementary option for PCOS suffers
- Can improve and regularize your menstrual cycle
- Help in the prevention or minimize cyst formation
- To an extent influence your hormonal imbalance
Homeopathy for PCOS or PCOD should be continued for a significant duration of time as the appearance and normalization of the menstrual cycle as well as decrease or absence of cyst formation are the only means by which improvement can be monitored.
We generally recommend treatment duration of 6 months to start with. Continuation of the treatment depends on the changes and improvement witnessed and may continue for another 4-6 months.
The eventual goal is to help regularize the cycles and minimize or prevent the formation of cysts, of which we are very confident relying on the numerous cases here at our centres.
The cause of PCOS is not clearly understood. PCOS suffers usually have a genetic predisposition Majority of suffers have elevated insulin levels which leads to obesity and PCOS.
Some PCOS symptoms are:
Symptoms of PCOS include changes in your period (menstrual cycle). Some changes are:
• No period after you have had one or more normal ones during puberty (secondary amenorrhea)
• Irregular periods, that may come and go and may be very light to very heavy
PCOS can cause you to develop male-like characteristics. This is called virilization.
- Acne associated with oily skin
- Few, irregular, or absent menstrual periods
- Hirsutism (excessive hair growth) and androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) due to elevated androgens (testosterone)
- Lack of ovulation causing infertility
- Obesity: Usually centered around the lower torso (apple shaped)
Symptoms of premenstrual syndrome:
- Mood swings, bloating etc.
- Decreased breast size
- Enlargement of the clitoris
- Thinning of the hair on the head, called male-pattern baldness
- Voice gets deeper
You may also have skin changes:
• Acne that gets worse
• Dark or thick skin markings and creases around the armpits, groin, neck, and breasts
Some PCOS signs are:
- Small, multiple ovarian cysts which look like a string of pearls
- High levels of testosterone (male hormone)
- Enlargement of ovaries
- Increased insulin levels