By Dr. Samba Siva Rao, Ayurveda
Ayurveda deems pregnancy to be one of the most life changing experiences for a woman. Motherhood brings an exhilarating array of alterations in the life of a woman and ayurveda hails them all as some of the most spiritual experience. During the course of pregnancy, however, certain specific bodily changes comes upon the mother. According to ayurveda, a feeling of tiredness and fatigue affects the overall temperament of the mother and it is expedient to counter that with the help of an upward energy. This is essential to induce a sense of joy in the mother, in the absence of which, the mother may be prone to all sorts of physical as well as psychological ailments like torpidity and depression. One may achieve the requisite vivacity during pregnancy following a few specific ayurvedic tips.
Ayurveda warrants a positive vibe in the course of pregnancy through a few natural processes. These strategies aid in maintaining the balance between the energy flows in the body of the mother. They also trigger good health and promote steady and unhindered development of the foetus. Some of the most trusted methods include nurturing one’s natural desires. The cravings that one is likely to experience during pregnancy stems from both the mother as well as the child. Hence, favouring them is beneficial for the health and happiness of both.
Ayurveda strongly recommends a diet based on fresh flora. Fresh green vegetables and freshly cooked food products are highly advantageous for maintaining health and hygiene of the mother as well as the baby. Ideally, highly spicy and oily food should be avoided for maintaining a balanced metabolism. For upholding the perfect quantum of energy in the body,ayurveda deems an equal amount of sweet, savoury and salty tastes as a mandatory part of a mother’s diet. Besides, ayurvedic oils could be used for massages to accord the mother sufficient relief.
Five Ayurvedic Pregnancy Strategies-
Here are 5 classic strategies to be used during pregnancy that can support the health and well-being of mom and baby, and keep the prana and apana vata in balance.
1. Favor Your Cravings: The most important advice is to eat what you naturally desire. Follow a well-balanced diet, with meals including adequate amounts of protein, healthy starch and veggies.
2. Balance Vata: The major theme during pregnancy is to balance vata, the energy of the nervous system. Warm, freshly cooked foods with healthy oils of olive, ghee and coconut are good. Avoid eating leftovers as much as possible.
3. Foods to Avoid:
- Hot spicy foods
- Uncooked leafy greens – as they can cause gas.
- Undercooked beans and lentils – which can also cause gas.
- Artificial flavors, preservatives and chemical additives
4. Get Gentle Daily Exercise: A great way to get this is to walk for 30 minutes each day.
5. Rest Up: You should get as much rest as possible. This is a delicate time when the subtle nutrient fluid called “ojas” that supports vitality, complexion and immunity is passed between the mother and baby.
However, the most important requisite for a healthy and successful pregnancy is ensuring complete and uncompromised happiness at all points. The mother must be showered with care and concern at all points. The entire family needs to cooperate with the mother in her act of welcoming a new life into the world.