By Dr. Jyoti Girotra Gandhi, Ayurveda
Constipation can be defined as a condition where you may face difficulties during the passage of stool. You may feel mild to severe straining evacuating the bowel and your stool might feel dry and hard as well. Constipation occurs due to a problem with the passage of the stool in the large intestine. Constipation can be fairly common in little children and elderly people because of a low-fiber diet although adults with a normal diet and lifestyle can also be afflicted by it. Constipation can be chronic or acute in nature.
Constipation might occur if you are suffering from a severe neurological disorder or disorders of the endocrine system. Dehydration might also lead to constipation. Sometimes, a side effect of certain medications like painkillers or antidepressants might cause a problem with stool passage.
- The symptoms of Constipation might include loss of appetite, severe pain in the abdomen region, drastic loss of weight, nausea and diarrhea.
- If not treated in time, Constipation might lead to hemorrhoids, rectal prolapses, and anal fissures.
Ayurvedic Approach to Curing Constipation-
According to Ayurvedic scriptures, constipation occurs due to a disturbance in the colon due to the cold quality of the vata, which impairs the proper functioning of the colon. Ayurvedic remedies aim to rejuvenate the proper functioning of the colon by hydrating it. The Ayurvedic remedies for constipation are as follows:
- Make powders of dried senna leaves and ginger. Then add equal amounts of the powder in a glass of water and consume it daily before going to bed.
- A twice-a-day intake of a mixture of half a teaspoon of Triphala and hot water might help cure constipation.
- You can add 1 tablespoon of the laxative dandelion root in water and boil it well. Consume it for 3 to 4 times a day in order to ensure smooth evacuation of the bowel.
- You can consume 1 tablespoon of linseeds or alsi followed by 2 glasses of water to get a very effective cure for mild cases of constipation.
According to Ayurvedic scriptures, in order to cure constipation, you should drink a lot of water or fruit juices throughout the day. Also, try to include fruits like bananas, apples, peaches etc. in your dietary regime in order to restore the balance of vata. Consumption of green leafy vegetables to increase roughage in your diet in also recommended.