By Dr. Sandeep Jassal, Alternative Medicine
Stress has often been termed the silent killer that is directly related to anxiety and insomnia. With the advent of digitalization and social media, the problem of stress has become more acute and worrying. Human beings are constantly seeking validation for their life choices in the form of likes and dislikes. Social existence has become more important than having a real relationship. As a result, people often suffer from stress and anxiety disorder. This stress triggered by social media and the digital age is commonly referred to as digital stress.
People suffering from digital stress often look for quick fixes in the form of medications which can have adverse effects in the longer run. Digitally triggered stress needs a more holistic approach that should include lifestyle changes and consuming certain adaptogenic herbs. Adaptogenic herbs are natural herbs and plants that help balance, restore and protect the body. Here is a list of adaptogenic herbs that will help in bringing down your cortisol level thereby combating digital stress:
- Ashwagandha- It is an adaptogenic herb that contains amino acids and vitamins and is known as “the strength of stallion” in India. The herb has been mentioned in various Ayurvedic treatment journals for its adapting quality that helps a body to adapt to stressful situations. It regulates cortisol levels and increases energy, stamina and endurance power. It is also very helpful in treating insomnia by inducing sleep and balancing the energies in the body.
- Holy Basil- Also known as tulsi, this is considered as the ‘elixir of anti-aging’ in India. It helps fighting fatigue, boosts the immune system, and regulates blood sugar, blood pressure levels which are directly linked to the stress level. Therefore, it is very effective in combating and reducing digital stress.
- Ginseng- It is also known as Panax ginseng or Asian ginseng that has been used in Chinese medicines since ancient times. There are various types of ginseng available in the market that are not effective in combating digital stress. Red ginseng has the same effects as antioxidants and antidepressants and helps in lowering and restoring blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- Rhodiola- Rhodiola Rosea or golden root is a popular herb in Siberia. It is helpful in providing mental and physical relief. It contains phytochemicals known as salidroside that helps in reducing anxiety and combating aging. It also reduces the production of cortisol which has been related to increased digital stress and insomnia.
- Licorice Root- It is an adaptogenic herb that increases energy and endurance and boosts the immune system. It also helps in regulating cortisol level that results in decreased digital stress.
Although adaptogenic herbs are not addictive and harmful to the body, it is better to go for prescribed amounts by a medical professional.