By Dr. Saipriya Tewari, Pain Management
Platelet Rich Plasma therapy is gaining steady popularity. It is being used in many therapies including Chronic Pain Management and Hair growth. Evidence suggests there is a link between PRP technique and tissue regeneration. That is why, PRP is so effective when it comes to treating tissue degeneration on scalp and bones.
What is Platelet Rich Plasma and how does it work?
● Platelet Rich Plasma is a substance that is derived from your blood, centrifuged and isolated. This isolated material is rich in plasma, a substance that promotes healing and regeneration in blood.
● The plasma contains growth factors of the blood. Growth factors are proteins that are responsible for generating new tissues and blood clotting in human beings.
● By injecting PRP into the degenerated or damaged tissue, the growth factors can help repairing these tissues.
1. Tendon: When conditions like Tennis elbow, Jumper’s knee and Achilles tendonitis occur in the tendons, severe pain comes along with it. These tissue degenerations mainly occur because of constant wear and tear of the tendons with time. Tendons are the tissues that connect bones to muscles and help in musculoskeletal locomotion. Injecting Platelet Rich Plasma in these tendons helps in tissue generation of these tissues and provides relief in chronic pain.
2. Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis is an age centric degenerative joint disease that occurs in bones and joints. In this condition, the tissues and the cartilage between the joints starts to degrade. Earlier, Hyaluronic acid injections were used to manage pain in Osteoarthritis patients. However, recently, doctors have started injecting Platelet Rich Plasma injections into these degraded tissues to repair and regenerate them. The results are much more promising than the traditional use of Hyaluronic injections.
3. Post-surgical pain: Platelet Rich Plasma injections have shown promising results when it comes to post-surgical recovery. After surgeries in ligaments and torn tendons are carried out, the growth factors in Platelet Rich Plasma helps to recreate the cells in between these tissues and make them stronger. Faster repair ensures better relief from chronic pain.
Is Platelet Rich Plasma safe?
Yes, it is safe, because technically, it is your own blood. So, there are no risks of allergic reactions. Infections are only possible when the needles aren’t sterilized properly.
Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy is receiving ample attention from the medical community and can be pretty useful in case of Chronic Pain. Consultation with a doctor is helpful to determine if PRP is right choice for a specific case.