By Dr. Paresh J Thakkar, Ayurveda
The liver plays a hugely important role in human physiology. It detoxifies blood, helps in digestion of fats, makes protein needed for blood clotting, etc. This is why, if the liver becomes diseased, it can be a harbinger of woes for any person.
Modern treatment rarely has a cure for all liver diseases. However, Ayurveda can help. In fact, there are a number of Ayurvedic remedies that can help in different hepatobiliary diseases.
Common Liver Diseases:
Some of the common liver diseases are:
- Hepatitis - Hepatitis results in inflammation of the liver and it is mostly caused by Hepatitis A, B, and C viruses. However, Hepatitis may be caused by other factors too, and they include drug abuse, heavy drinking, obesity, allergic reactions, etc.
- Cirrhosis - Cirrhosis results in scarring of liver owing to long-term damage. A scarred liver is not able to function well.
- Liver Cancer - Liver Cirrhosis almost always leads to liver cancer. In fact, this is the last stage of liver disease.
- Liver Failure - The liver may completely fail to function owing to infections, excessive alcohol, unhealthy lifestyle, etc.
- Ascites - Cirrhosis may result in leaking of fluid from the liver resulting in a distended abdomen.
- Gallstones - Stones may form and get stuck in the bile duct, resulting infection in the bile duct.
Ayurvedic Remedy for Liver Diseases
Ayurveda is known as the science of life. It is based on the idea that imbalances in the proportion of three biological elements: vata, pitta, and kapha, is the source of all diseases.
However, there are a number of reasons for such imbalance. Ayurveda suggests herbal remedies along with lifestyle and diet modifications to cure, prevent, stop, or slow down liver diseases. Studies have shown that modification of lifestyle and diet can go a long way in improving the functioning of the liver.
Diseases like Fatty Liver can be stopped and even reversed if the affected person takes immediate corrective action like abstaining from alcohol and lifestyle modification.
However, if one is suffering from Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver disease, it is difficult to track the causative factor. The disease progresses to liver Cirrhosis, which becomes difficult to treat. However, studies regarding the treatment of Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver disease with Ayurvedic remedies have shown that Ayurveda can really be effective in treating such diseases.
However, studies have also shown that a combination of herbal and mineral drugs along with ayurvedic pathya can bring about a change in liver health and may help the liver turn around.
Liver Cirrhosis can lead to Liver Ascites. Studies have shown that liver Cirrhotic Ascites can be successfully treated with ayurvedic remedies.
Preventions for Liver Diseases
Some of the common preventions are:
- Vaccination: Vaccination is one of the most important preventions one can take to lower the chance of getting infected from Hepatitis A or Hepatitis B virus.
- Avoid Alcohol or Drink in Moderation: Drinking alcohol moderately will help a person stay fit and healthy. Overconsumption of alcohol may affect the functionality of the liver and immune system.
- Check People’s Blood: As some liver disease may communicate through blood, so it is very important to check that the blood is not carrying the Hepatitis virus.
There is hardly any cure for liver diseases like non-alcoholic liver diseases and others. However, studies have shown that Ayurvedic medicines and pathya along with lifestyle and dietary modification can bring a turnaround in liver health.