By Gnh Excel Medical Centre, Dermatology
In Vitro Fertilization or IVF is the process of manually combining a female egg and male sperm artificially in a laboratory and then introducing the embryo to the uterus. This is an assisted reproductive technology. The procedure is formed to help conception in individuals with fertility problems or advanced age and the success rates are increasing steadily.
Here is a list of things you must know before you opt for IVF:
1. The procedure can benefit people with almost all kinds of infertility conditions which cannot be treated by fertility medication or other methods of artificial insemination.
2. Women who are older than 45 and have lesser chance of getting pregnant with their own egg, can use donor eggs for the process of IVF. Donated sperms can also be used in case of male infertility.
3. If you have been naturally pregnant before, your chance of succeeding with IVF are very high.
4. Problems like blockage in the fallopian tubes, low reserve of eggs in the ovaries or severe male infertility cannot be cured. Advanced age is a major factor in infertility. In such cases, conception is only possible by IVF.
5. No direct link has been found between the IVF procedure and the birth defects.
6. IVF is not related to increased risks of ovarian cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer or endometrial cancer.