By Dr. Professor Bhavesh Acharya, Homeopathy
The risks associated with smoking tobacco has been made obvious to large majority of the population. A large number of solutions have been suggested for people who wish to disconnect from the habit. Most seem to provide limited relief. The nature of craving for tobacco i.e. the psychological and physical factors of motivation and modification ensure that its characteristics are commonly individualised. This makes the therapy suitable to a person’s particular characteristics.
Homeopathy provides the solution to treat the individual problems of the individual. Some of them are discussed below:
- Arsenicum Album: This medication is suited for typical smokers who exhibit anxiety, restlessness, easy exhaustion and burning sensations. Other symptoms include an unquenchable thirst and pain in the lungs. These symptoms worsen during cold and wet weather.
- Aconitum Napellus: It is termed as a superb remedy for acute stress and has also been used for conditions of anxiety.
- Caladium: Being one of the chief remedies for tobacco cravings, Caladium works by promoting a dislike towards tobacco. In some cases, when Caladium is used with smoking, it leads to vomiting or nausea. A major symptom of the medication is that the person begins to dread motion. Additional symptoms include memory loss, headaches and dyspnoea. The symptoms worsens during motion and improves after sleep.
- Ignatia: This is a medication that is applicable in situations of anxiety and causes an unquenchable craving for smoking tobacco. It is commonly associated with hypersensitivity and excitability. Additional symptoms include depression, mood swings, cramping, etc.
- Kali Phos: This medication should be utilized in situations where the main issue is anxiety which might be associated with the withdrawal of tobacco. The symptoms that help in validating its application include irritability, mental weakness, dry mouth and dyspnoea.