By Dr. Pankaj Mehta, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
One of the techniques which is slowly gaining ground since the past few years is PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma therapy. This technique is very effective in case of hair fall and skin rejuvenation and is being offered in more and more clinics nowadays.
What is the PRP Treatment?
PRP or platelet-rich plasma came about as a result of research in sports medicine where the end goal was to find a quicker way to treat injuries so that healing time was reduced. PRP uses the body’s natural healing systems and processes to speed up recovery or to enhance the look of your skin. It is also used to rejuvenate hair and stop hair fall.
How does PRP work?
A small amount of blood is first withdrawn from your body, which is almost the same that you would give for any blood test. Once the blood is withdrawn, it is then spun around in a fast centrifuge. This spinning separates the plasma from the red blood cells. The plasma is rich in platelets and has many wonderful healing and rejuvenating properties. Here is how it works on the skin and hair:
- PRP for Skin Rejuvenation – The extracted plasma is injected back into the specific area of the skin which you want to be treated. This triggers a response within the body which is akin to healing an injury and thus gives you a much younger look. The effect of this treatment is visible within the first 6 weeks or so and last for about 18 months.
- PRP for Hair fall – PRP treatment can also be used the same way for hair related treatments as described for skin rejuvenation. The principles are the same except that the plasma serum is injected into the scalp. This then triggers hair rejuvenation, stops and even reverses hair fall.
Advantages of PRP Therapy against hair loss are:
- Simple, non-surgical procedure
- Multiple Injections: procedure lasting approximately 60 to 90 minutes
- Safe and reliable results
- Very quick recovery period.
- Beautiful and above all extremely natural looking end results