By Dr. Surjeet Kaur, Trichology
The acids help the body dissolve the food particles and also break it down to more basic elements. However, when the body produces too much acid, it causes acid reflux which can cause discomfort. Too much acid within the body, which is also known as hyperacidity, can be caused by a multitude of factors.
Known and effective Ayurvedic treatments: Ayurveda considers acidity to be a ‘Pitta’ problem and it can be corrected by following certain simple steps. Let’s have a look at some of the dos and don’ts of Ayurved for acidity.
1. Limit junk food and other foods, which are very heavy in fats and processed items: Most processed foods and junk food usually made in stores contain unhealthy fats. The stomach needs to produce more acid in order to digest them and thus may end up causing acidity.
2. Stop excessive consumption of coffee: Stop consumption of caffeinated beverages such as coffee and other caffeine injected drinks which may encourage the production of more stomach acids.
3. Stop the consumption of alcohol and cooperates: Apart from being generally bad for health as both of these are known contributors of cancers, they can even affect smaller day to day functions and can lead to acidity.
4. Don’t consume foods which are high in acidic content: If you tend to like food which is very high in acidic content, it is advisable to limit its consumption. Some examples of this are:
- Sour citrus fruits
6. Salty fried foods Dos for acidity according to Ayurveda: There are multiple solutions for acidity in Ayurveda which have been known for generations. Let’s take a look at some of these:
- Do have meals on time: It is best to not skip meals as this can cause the acidity levels within the stomach to rise if it doesn’t have any food to digest. It is especially harmful to skip breakfast and then have a heavy lunch to compensate.
- Do have amla or Indian gooseberry: This is a very effective weapon against acidity and chewing a few morsels will easily treat the problems in your stomach.
- Pomegranate Juice: Very small quantities of Pomegranate juice on a daily basis will be very beneficial for a bad case of acid reflux.
- Coconut water: Drink coconut water as it is known to have properties to neutralize the stomach acids.
- Aniseed: Also known as saunf, you can chew them raw and slowly swallow with water for quick relief from acidity.
- Jeera: Jeera consumed with warm ghee and then mixed with rice tends to be very good for acidity as well.
Ayurved has great treatments for Hyperacidity. Please visit your nearest Ayurved Medical Practitioner if you are suffering from Hyperacidity.