By Dr. Ramakant Bembde, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Hand surgery has wide spectrum. Hand trauma, impairment due to nerve compression, hand tumours , tendon injuries, lacerations, amputations, missing fingers, arthritis, fractures, cyst removal, joint deformities, etc. may precipitate the need for hand surgery. Enhancing cosmetic appeal too can be a major reason for hand surgery.
Signs of aging become visible in hands quite early in life due to continuous exposure to sunlight, environment & loss of fat. People may also develop pre-cancerous growths or dark spots on their hands requiring hand surgery. There may also be loss of fatty tissue requiring hand surgery. In essence, the indications for hand surgery are many.
Goal of Hand Surgery:
The goal of hand surgery is to restore the functioning of fingers, wrists, and overall hands to near normal levels and also improve cosmetic appearance. Since hands are critical for regular activities of daily living, restoration of normal functioning is very important. Plastic surgeons can perform a number of procedures for best possible functional as well as cosmetic outcome of hand.
Types of Plastic Surgery Conducted in Hands:
The type of plastic surgery depends on the nature of the problem and the objective. It may be reconstructive surgery, cosmetic surgery, hand rejuvenation surgery, etc.
In a special Hand Clinic where plastic surgeons perform a wide variety of Hand operations such as:
1) Fractures of hand bones.
2) Tendon Transfers for paralytic deformities and tendon repairs.
3) Reconstruction of soft tissue defects & injuries of hand.
4) Rheumatoid deformities.
5) Congenital(birth)defects like syndactaly (fused fingers),polydactaly (extra fingers),absent thumb,etc.
6) Replantations:Microsurgical reattachment of amputated digits and limbs.
7) Microsurgical reconstruction using Free Microvascular Flaps for soft tissues and bone,
8) Nerve repair & Nerve grafts, and surgery to improve function in paralysed upper limbs.
9) Hand infections & Tenosynovitis.
10) Compression Neuropathies like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome,etc.
11) Tumours & Cancers of Hand.
12) Deformities & Contractures in hand due to Burns & injuries.
13) Industrial Hand Injuries
14) Brachial Plexus Reconstruction.
15) Vascular malformations & hemangiomas.
16) Thumb reconstruction using various techniques like Moberg flap,Cross finger flap,Osteoplastic technique,Toe Transfer,Pollicization,etc.
17) Flap cover & reconstruction for soft tissue defects of hand using Groin flap,Abdominal flap,SEPA Flap,etc.
18) Finger Tip injuries repairs.
19) Fat transfer surgery for dorsum of hand can bring back youthful volume, improve skin texture and tone, reduce effects of sun damage, etc. It will have long-term results.
Whether it is cosmetic or reconstructive or rejuvenating, plastic surgery can enhance functionality of hands as well as appearance. However, you need to consult an experienced and skilled plastic surgeon to decide the right procedure and also to get the best outcome.