By Dt. Ms. Sahana Dasharathi, Dietitian/Nutritionist
In present times there has been an increase in some obese people especially in places which are developed like USA and UK. Obesity has now become a severe issue in most of the nations that are dangerous to life.
About 90% of the people in the USA are suffering obesity. The effects of obesity are very harmful it leads to health conditions lasting for a long time, causes premature death and disease and illness like diabetes, gall bladder disease, stroke, fatty liver, joint diseases, arthritis and at worst cases can even lead to cancer threatening the life count.
Several studies have shown that the intake of too much of calorie and the lack of any physical activity can cause obesity. Fast food has become a major cause of it as well.
Food Choices of Various People Depend On Several Factors Including:
- Socioeconomic influences
Food choices often hamper the intake of energy this communicates with the metabolic and genetic factors to draw the body weight and the body composition of a human being.
Energy Imbalance in The Human Body
- Obesity is an outcome of the imbalance of energy taken in through drinking and through eating, which is then spent on the various physical activities of the day and the metabolism rate of the human body.
- Studies have indicated and highlighted by the hard fact the amount of food consumed away out of the home that is the amount of fast food intake has risen alarmingly in the last four decades.
- Fast food like pizzas, burgers, roll, chips, French fries etc. contains a high amount of calories, fats, sugar, and sodium. Fast food leads to a reduction of the best quality food in the diet and causes unhealthy choices among adolescents and children increasing their chances of getting obese.
- Too much of intake of pizzas and burgers leads to the increase in the consumption of cheese, which can be harmful to the human to the human body and increases the intake of saturated fat and sodium.
Fast Food Effecting Life to Great Extent
- Fast foods often affect the youth and children more than adults the reason being that most of the foods outside are targeted towards the children and the youth, and there is a retained pattern of eating fast foods.
- Children, those have a sustained imbalance of energy intake of near about 2% tend to suffer obesity over the time. Such lifestyles can affect the life very badly, leading to chronic diseases and major other health problems.
- In order to prevent oneself from getting obese, one should eat home cooked food, develop good eating habits, eat on time, eat small frequent meals, eat seasonal and local fruits and vegetables to get maximum nutritional benefits, eat freshly cooked food, , reduce the intake of outside food, bakery items and process foods and beverages available commercially.
At the same time should input certain amount of physical activity and variety of exercises (at least 150+ min per week for maintenance and 300+min for weight loss) in the daily routine to remain fit, young, healthy (disease free) and free from lifestyle disorders, such as obesity, diabetes, cholesterol, uric acid issues, thyroid, cancers etc.