By Dr. Ananda Kumar Pingali, Homeopathy
Over the years, homeopathy has proved to be extremely safe and effective in treating various ailments. Homeopathy has a ready remedy for almost all problems and for people across all age groups. Various homeopathic medicines have proved to be particularly beneficial for pregnant women.
Some of the advantages of homeopathy that are enjoyed by pregnant women are as follows:
Pregnancy is a wonderful period in the life of women. During this period she experiences new things and is anxious to see her newborn. Extreme care is to be taken during this period because this involves two lives. During pregnancy, we have a developing foetus. In the foetus there are many changes taking place.
During this period the foetus is sensitive to all influences upon the mother. For example, a mental disturbance of the mother can trigger many things in the foetus. Modern science shows that the behaviour of the child after birth depends on the mental Status of the mother during pregnancy. Many studies have shown that if a mother is stressed, anxious or depressed during pregnancy, her child is at risk for having emotional problems, ADHD, conduct disorder and impaired cognitive development.
All the medication given to the mother also interacts with foetus inside. Areas in which a Homeopath can help in treating Pregnant Women:
1. Treating the commonly occurring problems during pregnancy like diabetes, thyroid, hypertension, common cold and coughs, nausea, morning sickness, backache, etc. Treating the mother with constitutional homeopathic medicine we can improve the immune status of both the mother and foetus which will help in fighting infections occurring during pregnancy.
2. Treating the Future Problems which can occur in the child – i.e. if there is strong family history of any disease in the family we can give constitutional treatment to mother to save the upcoming child from getting into these problems.
Advantages of Constitutional Homoeopathic Treatment During Pregnancy:
1. No Side-Effects: Many conventional medications that are generally prescribed to pregnant women come with their share of complications and side effects. Drugs like Thalidomide and Prozac cause minor birth defects on consumption which are conveniently left out in the deluge of advertisements. On the other hand, homeopathic medicines made from natural substances carry no risk of any side-effect.
2. Healthy Mother and Healthy Child: This branch of medicine is particularly useful in treating the innumerable signs and symptoms of pregnancy complications. In fact, the right homeopathic medications during the time of pregnancy ensure the birth of a healthy child.
3. Treating Morning Sickness: One of the most common complaints of pregnant women is morning sickness. Medicines like Sepia and Colchicum successfully treat morning sickness during pregnancy.
4. Treating Food Aversion: Many women during pregnancy suffer from a distaste for and aversion to the smell of food. Colchicum helps to cure this symptom.
5. Treating Vomiting and Nausea: Vomiting and nausea are the most common symptoms that pregnant women suffer from. Tabacum helps immensely in reducing these symptoms.
6. Treating Aversion to Sex: Women during pregnancy generally suffer from aversion and antipathy towards sex. Sepia or Kreosotum can help in treating that.
7. Treatment for Cold & Cough: Pregnant women are more susceptible to contract cold and cough. In such a scenario, a medicine called Gelsemium, Arsenic helps in treating the symptoms of cough and cold.
8. Breech Birth and Homeopathy - Avoid Cesarean Section: The most common and preferred position for the birth of a baby is head first. A breech position is when the baby is positioned in the womb to be born feet or buttocks first. Breech birth is frequently delivered by cesarean. Before 36 weeks it is sometimes possible to turn the baby into the preferred position. Homeopathic medicines Pulsatilla and Natrum Muriaticum are two remedies that can help turn the baby around in the womb.
9. Easy Delivery: Biochemical and Homeopathic medicines together help in easy delivery or childbirth. “The correctly prescribed homeopathic remedy given in preparation and anticipation of labor is observed to prepare the cervix for labor by facilitating and softening, thinning out, and dilating the cervix prior to the onset of real labor. The amount of pain experienced during labor is markedly reduced, greatly lessening the need for analgesics and anesthesia.” Acute prescribing is also of benefit to the baby, such as a dose of Arnica 200c after the birth for both mother and baby which will ease the trauma/bruising endured during the labour.