By Dr. Ram Bhupal Rao, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery through which excess fat is sucked out from different parts of the body. The process is carried out with the help of a cannula which is connected to a high pressure vacuum machine which facilitates the process. Liposuction is a permanent method to remove fat from the body. The operation is carried out under local or general anesthesia. Different techniques of liposuction involve:
- Tumescent Liposuction: A local anesthesia is used to numb the area where the tube is inserted. Next, the fatty tissues are injected with a large amount of anesthetic solution containing lidocaine-epinephrine.
- Ultrasound-Assisted Liposuction: This procedure is generally used in removing fat from upper abdomen, back, and sides.
- Laser- assisted Liposuction: This procedure uses low-energy waves to liquefy the fat which is then removed through the cannula.
What to expect from the surgery?
Liposuction will remove fat permanently from the area where it is done. One can see the results in about 3 months time.
What are the benefits of liposuction?
- Improves Health: It is always good to reduce weight for healthy body and well-being. Weight loss is an effective way to reduce the risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease. Though liposuction cannot excess fats, it helps to remove stubborn fat from the body.
- Improves Appearance: Liposuction helps in smoothing and contouring of the body which makes the individual look good and confident about his/her body.
- Cellulite Removal: Liposuction somewhat removes cellulite in both men and women, but it should be remembered that there is no permanent cure for cellulite.
Liposuction is a body shaping procedure, although weight is reduced but primarily it is not a weight reducing procedure. It is a surgical procedure with associated benefits and side effects.
It is recommended that you consult thoroughly with an experienced doctor before opting for such procedure.