By Dr. Sanjay Panicker, Homeopathy
Hypothyroidism is a condition called deficiency of thyroid hormone. The main duty of thyroid hormone is to maintain the metabolism of the body. Hence, the person affected by it will experience slow metabolism. Hypo means underactive, which means the lack of thyroid hormones in the body.
Types of Hypothyroidism:
This happens when the functioning thyroid gland fail to produce T3 and T4. As a result, pituitary gland releases Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). This helps in producing T3 and T4 hormones. This cause is termed as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
- Primary Hypothyroidism is the deficiency of thyroid hormones due to inadequate production.
- Secondary Hypothyroidism is deficiency of thyroid hormones due to inadequate stimulation of the thyroid gland through pituitary gland.
Causes of Hypothyroidism
- Deficiency of Iron
- Viral infections or other respiratory disorders
- Certain medicines such as lithium that is used to treat psychiatric
- Radiation therapy for some cancers
- Treating hyperthyroidism with anti-thyroid medicine
- An underactive thyroid gland by birth
- The hypothyroidism during pregnancy.
- Weight gain
- Dry, rough pale skin
- Coarse, dry hair
- Hair loss
- Muscle cramps and muscle aches
- Cold intolerance
- Memory loss
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Decreased libido
Homeopathy Treatment for Hypothyroidism:
Homeopathy medicines are always known for treating the disease permanently and same way the medicine performs here too. The disease could be treated through different medicines in homeopathy. Choosing or prescribing the right medicine depends on the cause of the disease and its effect.
Here is the list of homeopathy medicines that helps in eradicating the effectiveness of the disease completely:
- Calcarea Carbonica
- Sepia Officinalis
- Lycopodium Clavatum
- Nux Vomica
- Iodum treats hypothyroidism. The person is emaciated
- Thymusinum – treatment of stunted conditions in children
- Bromum treats goiter
- Lapis albus treats hyperthyroidism and goiter
- Natrum muriaticum treats an under active gland
However, these are just the names of the medicines, which should not be taken without prior approval from a homeopathy doctor, as the dosage and frequency of the medicine will be decided by the doctor based on the patient’s condition and symptoms.