By Dr. U.C.Shanghvi, Sexology
Oral gonorrhea refers to gonorrhea which is in the throat rather than in the genital area. Most people do not know that gonorrhea can happen in the throat. Actually, gonorrhea can happen anywhere in your body where there are mucous membranes. Here are the causes, symptoms, and treatments for gonorrhea.
Neisseria gonorrhea is a species of bacteria which causes gonorrhea by growing and multiplying in the mucous membranes of an individual. Places, where there are mucous membranes in your body, include the genital areas, respiratory tracts as well as the mouth and throat.
Women usually have more symptoms of gonorrhea than men. The symptoms which women experience include:
1. Yellow or white discharge from the vagina
2. Lower abdominal or pelvic pain
3. A burning sensation after urinating
5. Bleeding in between periods
6. Swelling of the vulva
7. Spots after sex
8. Burning in the throat as well as swollen glands
Men also display some symptoms as well, which are:
1. Yellowish green or white discharge from the penis
2. A burning sensation after urinating
3. Painful or swollen testicles
4. Burning in the throat as well as swollen glands
Treatment and Diagnosis
1. What the doctor usually does to diagnose gonorrhea is that he takes a urine sample and then checks for the presence of the bacteria.
2. However, the doctor may also take a sample of a special fluid which includes the urethra in men or from the cervix in women.
3. Once it is diagnosed, the doctor will give you either an oral or otherwise an injectable antibiotic.
4. However, gonorrhea is slowly becoming antibiotic resistant. Therefore, it is crucial you complete your course even if you feel better.