By Dr. Arnab Ray, Ayurveda
Pilonidal sinus is a small hole, tunnel or abscess under the skin that commonly occurs in the cleft of the buttocks. Usually, pilonidal sinus contains hair, debris and dirt. With infection, it may discharge pus and blood. They are often foul smelling. Men particularly young adults suffer more than women. Pilonidal sinus mostly requires surgical intervention.
Fast facts on Pilonidal Sinus-
* Young adults having hairy and deep natal cleft suffer the most.
* Prolonged sitting, inactive lifestyle and obesity are potential risk factors.
* Surgical intervention is commonly required.
* Recurrence is possible.
What causes Pilonidal sinus?
* The exact cause is not clearly known. It is speculated that, activities like sitting for a long-time cause friction and suction effect in natal cleft which allow the hair to retract back to the skin. The body considers hair as a foreign particle and initiates an immune response against hair. Because of the immune response, an abscess and often a cyst is formed. The factors like changing of hormones after puberty, growth of hair, friction from clothes, sitting for a long time are considered as contributing factors.
What are the symptoms of Pilonidal sinus?
* Reddened and sore skin around natal cleft.
* Swelling under the skin over tail bone.
* Discharge of pus or blood.
* Occasional low-grade fever.
* Pain while sitting.
A pilonidal sinus is often accompanied with the tuberculous spine.
Pilonidal sinus treatment with ksharasutra is a minimal invasive Ayurvedic procedure with a high success rate and less complications. This can be performed as an OPD treatment under local anesthesia.