By Dt. Mrs. Megha Tiwari, Dietitian/Nutritionist
Not getting enough vegetables or fruits in your diet? If not, then it might end up affecting your health in the long-run. Fruits and vegetables are the most important part of the diet and are loaded with vital minerals and vitamins that are essential in maintaining all-around good health.
People tend to skip eating fruits and vegetable due to a variety of reasons. Here are 5 ways to get more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Ditch the cookie – Restrict a number of chips, cookies or other foods you tend to eat as snacks between meal and start eating fruits instead. This way, you have a healthy snack whenever you feel hungry. This will also help you if you are trying to lose weight.
- Keep The Fruit in Sight – Don’t keep fruits stashed in the refrigerator where you can’t see them. Keep them on the kitchen counter or at any place in your home where you spend a lot of time. This way, you will notice the fruits every time you pass them away and eat them regularly.
- Make Soups – A great way to increase your vegetable intake is to make vegetable soup. You can use the leftover vegetables from the previous night as well. If made right, soups are not only the ideal evening food but is also healthy. However, don’t go for canned soups as they have preservatives. Make fresh soup at home.
- Double the number of Vegetables – Another great way to increase the number of vegetables you eat is to double the vegetables you put in your food. Be it pasta, pizza, salad or sandwich, put in double the vegetables from what the recipe says.
- Add Meat Free Days - If you are a non-vegetarian, set aside one or two days in the week when you only have vegetables for all the meals during that day.