By Dr. Sandeep Roy, Homeopathy
There is a co-relation between weight gain and different types of cancer. That is not to say that obesity is the root cause of these cancers, only that rapid weight gain can be a factor that increases the risk of cancer. Here are 13 different kinds of cancer which are linked to obesity.
- Breast Cancer- Weight gain after menopause has been linked to breast cancer. The production of estrogen by fat tissues is the primary cause of this increased risk.
- Colon Cancer- Obese individuals are 30% more prone to develop colorectal cancer than others. Since obesity is related to insulin resistance, it increases the risks of this disease.
- Endometrial Cancer- This type of cancer is twice as likely in overweight women. Endometrial cancer may be caused by an imbalance of estrogen caused by fat tissues.
- Esophageal Cancer- Esophageal cancer is twice as likely in people who carry extra weight. Research suggests that the inflammation caused by fat tissues can cause this cancer.
- Gallbladder Cancer- If one is overweight, the risk of gallbladder cancer increases by 20% and if obese, it increases by 60%.
- Kidney Cancer- The risk of kidney cancer is twice as high in overweight people. Insulin resistance may also cause kidney cancer.
- Liver Cancer- The inflammation caused by liver infection is similar to that of the inflammation caused by obesity in fat cells. Thus, obesity can increase the risk of liver cancer by twice.
- Meningioma- The risk of developing Meningioma in overweight individuals is around 20% higher than in normal-weight people. And this risk increases to 50% for those who are obese.
- Multiple myeloma- Affecting the plasma cells of the bone marrow, multiple myeloma is a kind of blood cancer. Obesity increases the risk of it by 10-20%. The inflammatory chemicals produced by fat cells are linked to this cancer.
- Ovarian Cancer- A 10% increase in ovarian cancer risk has been linked to obesity. It might be caused by the estrogen produced by the excess fat tissue. It might also be a result of a dysfunction in the metabolism. 11. Pancreatic Cancer- Obesity has been recorded to increase the risks of pancreatic cancer by 20% to 50%. Since the insulin secreted by the pancreas plays a major role in metabolism, elevated levels of insulin can be linked to cancer.
- Stomach Cancer- The individuals who are obese have been found to have twice the chances of developing stomach cancer. The inflammation that is caused by an excess of fat tissue might be responsible for the increased risk.
- Thyroid Cancer- An increase in body weight can be linked to a 10% increase in thyroid cancer risk. The thyroid gland helps regulate your metabolism.