By Dr. Navaneetha Krishna K, Ayurveda
Haemorrhoids or piles is a condition where the blood vessels in the rectum or the anus, become swollen. Research has indicated that almost 50 percent of people will experience such haemorrhoids prior to the age of 50. Haemorrhoids are of two kinds, namely, exterior and interior.
The disease can be difficult and painful to live with, which is why rapid diagnosis and treatment are required to cure the condition.
Common symptoms of haemorrhoids include-
- Rectal bleeding
- Itching/irritation in the anal region
- Swelling/lump around the anus
Causes of Piles
The scientific community has yet to reach a consensus as to the exact cause of the condition. However, there are some factors that may increase the risk of the disorder. These include-
- Excessive strain at the time of bowel movement
- Chronic constipation, which results in excessive strain during excretion
- Sitting on the toilet seat for a prolonged period of time
- Prior family history of the condition
As someone suffering from piles, you should also engage in light exercises, so that you can keep yourself in shape. Obesity can increase the complication from piles, which is why maintaining an ideal body weight is essential. However, make sure that you do not lift weights, as it might aggravate the disorder.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Piles
Role and Benefits of Kshar sutra Treatment-
Kshar sutra ligation is an Ayurvedic therapy that uses a unique technique to treat anorectal diseases. Patients suffering from piles, anal fistula, and pilonidal sinus are commonly recommended this therapy. The treatment involves -
- A minor surgery is performed to ligate (tie up) the base of the pile mass with caustic threads (Kshara sutra).
- The kshara applied on the thread has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties that soothe or reduce irritation.
- The medicated caustic thread curettes out the anal passage and discards the epithelial lining, therefore allowing the tract to heal.
Unlike conventional treatment that requires one to undergo surgery, and is associated with many side effects, Kshar sutra permanently cures haemorrhoids. Moreover, this procedure has several benefits such as the following-
- It is a minimally invasive procedure, and has no serious complications
- It is an out-patient treatment, meaning the patient can walk home immediately after the treatment is performed
- It prevents the recurrence of the disease, which other conventional treatments cannot guarantee
Living with piles can be distressing and embarrassing. Hence, the best option to look for is a permanent cure using Ayurveda.
Other Ayurvdeic Tips-
Several foods and Ayurvedic medications can provide relief for patients suffering from piles. A fibre-rich diet, for instance, will help prevent constipation. Here are some dietary changes that will help you deal with piles in an easier fashion.
- Consumption of whole grains is recommended, in order to relieve constipation.
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and broccoli, will also help with the symptoms of piles.
- Eat fruits such as bananas, apples, figs and papayas to ensure a strong and clear motion.
- Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol as much as possible. Additionally, caffeinated drinks, such as coffee and sodas, should be avoided as well.
- Mix Triphala powder with warm water and drink the decoction every night before going to bed. For better results, add a few drops of castor oil into the mixture.
- Drink a glass of buttermilk every day.
- A drink made out of haritaki and jaggery will also help dealing with the symptoms of piles.
- Incorporate garlic, soaked chia seeds and flax seeds into your diet for better motion
Aside from the diet, there are some other ways of reducing the pain associated with the condition. A sitz bath is one such option. In order to take a sitz bath, fill up the bathtub with warm water. Ensure that the level of water is enough to keep your waist and hip submerged. Add an antiseptic such as turmeric or neem into the water to ensure that no infection results from the same. Now, sit in the water for a few minutes.