By Dream Derma, Dermatology
Before the onset of any skin related problem, our body starts throwing up warning signs, which sadly, a lot of us tend to ignore. If not dealt with on time, there is a chance that the warning signs might develop into something nastier, which will not only affect our skin health but our general well-being as well.
Although there is not much that can be done to stop aging, certain measures can be taken to prevent its signs from appearing earlier than they should. Skin problems and their warning signs tend to make us look older than we actually are. Not only our self-confidence takes a hit but also our chances of making a good first impression since most people judge us by the way we look.
Healthy skin is a sign of vitality and shows that you care about yourself while unhealthy skin is taken as a sign of poor health and hygiene.
Here are 5 early warning signs of unhealthy skin that end up making you look older than you actually are so that you are able to do something about them before it is too late:
- Dark Spots – Dark spots on the face generally point to an underlying health condition or reaction to medicine. Also known as hyperpigmentation, they tend to make the skin look unhealthy and age you. To prevent dark spots, avoid going in the sun without sunscreen and avoid exposure to UV light for long durations. If they do appear, despite precautions, getting timely treatment is the best way to go forward.
- Uneven Skin – The skin bears the brunt when anything goes wrong inside our body. Uneven skin can develop on the face and other parts of the body if the body is stressed and overtired from a lack of rest, dehydration or malnourishment. To avoid uneven skin, make sure to get lots of rest, keep yourself hydrated and have healthy eating habits.
- Chapped Lips - Not many people realize but lips are also skin, the thinnest piece of skin on the body. Chapped lips can get painful if not cared for properly. They might crack and start to bleed or develop sores. Chapped lips also give an appearance of neglect. Keep your body appropriately hydrated and moisturized in order to avoid chapped lips.
- Flaky Skin - Flaky or rough and dry skin is not only unhealthy but bad for your overall appearance. The skin gets exposed to a lot of elements during the day that can an adverse impact on it. Weather conditions are a prime example. Skin tends to become dry in cold conditions if not moisturized properly. Dry or flaky skin can also pinpoint to a more serious disorder like thyroid condition or psoriasis. Keep your skin properly moisturized and remain hydrated to avoid dry or flaky skin.
- Rashes - A skin rash is usually one of the early signs of an allergy or a skin condition. Get rashes checked as soon as they erupt. They could be a result of a reaction to a product or point to an underlying condition.