By Dr. Prashant Saxena, General Surgery
Hernia is a small protrusion or escape of any structure or organ through nearby weak spot or muscle. There are several types of hernia like inguinal hernia (direct and indirect), femoral hernia, umbilical hernia, umbilical hernia, epigastria hernia and incision hernia. This hernia can be removed and relocated to its original position and secured with special type of hernia mesh to prevent the recurrence of hernia.
When hernia surgery is required?
Hernia is not a serious health issue that requires surgery immediately. But surgery is essential only during the following situation-
- Size of hernia is more than half an inch.
- Hernia causes severe pain and causes much physical discomfort.
- Hernia causes disfigurement.
There are two different methods used for hernia surgery:
- Open Hernia Repair -Open surgical incision is made near the herniated site and the surgical procedure is done and secured with a mesh work. This surgical procedure requires several preparatory measures to be done before surgery. There is also blood loss and recovery period after surgery is also more than other type of surgeries.
- Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair -The surgery is done with a laparoscope which has small tiny camera, small plastic hernia mesh and small tool with it. So the patient can return back to their normal routine earlier as the incision made is smaller.
Before undergoing hernia surgery:
- One week before surgery it is much essential to stop taking drugs that are causes the thinning of the blood. Drugs like aspirin should be stopped with the doctor’s advice.
- Stop herbal supplements and check the fitness of your cardio and diabetes.
- Gain adequate knowledge about surgery and be prepared for the post surgical care.
After hernia surgery:
- Avoid heavy weight lifting , exercises, and physical works with excessive strain few weeks after surgery
- Cough or laugh loud only with a support to the surgical site till one week after surgery