By Dr. Bhujbale’s Ayurveda & Piles Clinic, Ayurveda
Piles or haemorrhoids is a condition in which the rectal veins become inflamed, thus causing bleeding and swelling. Hemorrhoids are clumps or cushions of tissue which get aggregated around the anal canal and are full of blood vessels, muscle and elastic fibres. Piles can be of various sizes and are found inside the anus or around the anal region. However, piles found inside the anal canal are way more common than the external ones.
In most cases, this condition can be treated by taking required medicines along with following a high-fibre diet. However, in some cases, the piles might be severe and need to be removed surgically. The common symptoms of piles are blood discharge while eliminating faeces and abnormal enlargements around the anal region. Piles might also be characterised by excessive itching of the anal region and pain during defecating.
In Ayurvedic terms, piles are called ArshaShoola which translates to extremely painful conditions akin to the piercing of needles. This condition can be gotten rid of by availing of various Ayurvedic remedies.
Listed below are a few ayurvedic remedies which can help in getting rid of piles:
- Piles is a condition which can be an outcome of a digestive problem. A mixture of ‘haritaki’ and ‘jimikand’ in equal dosages can help in improving the digestive functions of your body.
- A mixture of milk and radish applied on the opening of the anal canal thrice a day can prove to be effective in getting rid of piles.
- According to Ayurvedic scriptures, piles can be gotten rid of if you manage to follow a healthy diet. Including ‘amalaki’, papaya and ‘jambul’ in your diet can help in improving digestion. If you avoid starch-rich foods such as potatoes and pumpkins, you can prevent this condition from spreading.
- Extracts of mint leaves and ginger combined with a concoction of honey and lemon juice, consumed in the morning, can help in curing piles.
- A particular herb called ‘nagakesara’ can also help in relieving pain caused due to piles.