By Dr. Arunima Halder, IVF Speciality
The process of IVF or in-vitro fertilization can be financially burdensome along with giving you emotional and psychological stress. Therefore, couples going for IVF treatment are often advised to take the requisite preparations to increase their chances of getting pregnant.
1. Quit smoking and drinking. Smoking increases the number of abnormal sperms in men and decreases the quality of eggs in women. Moreover, it decreases the blood flow to the uterus thus increasing the chance of miscarriage.
2. Take nutrient-rich food. Include antioxidant-rich food in the diet.
3. Prenatal vitamins like folic acid, iron magnesium and vitamin D.
4. Sleep. Getting an adequate amount of sleep is essential for a healthy body and mind. Therefore, it is necessary to have a proper sleep cycle where you go to bed at a designated time and get up at a fixed time every day. Do not take any gadgets or your laptop in the bedroom for a sound sleep.
5. Relax. It has been noticed that higher stress levels affect the reproductive cycle of men and women. Therefore, to reduce psychological and emotional stress, try to spend some alone time and with each other. Take pleasure in doing simple tasks together or by not doing anything at all. You can even try meditation, yoga, and spa to relax and unwind.
6. Exercise. Exercise can be beneficial for relieving stress and maintaining a normal body mass index (BMI) and weight. However, avoid doing strenuous or heavy cardio or pilates. Instead, go for cycling, swimming or jogging to maintain a healthy heart and body.
7. Ask your doctor if you need any supplements like myoinositol or coenzyme q for improving the quality of eggs.