By Dr. Anand P R, Sexology
Nightfall, commonly known as nocturnal emissions or wet dreams, is an offhand and spontaneous orgasm which both men and women (vaginal discharge) may experience when they are asleep. Wet dreams are common during the adolescent years and early adulthood phases, but might occur any time after one hits puberty. The main difference between female and male wet dreams is that the former usually realize when they are having an orgasm and wake up from their sleep while the latter mostly sleep through all of it.
Causes for nightfall are as follows:
- Men and women who engage in the process of masturbation, often, experience nightfall later on. weakness in muscles and nerves of penis decreasing control power of emissions cause nightfall.
- Thinning of semen due to excessive loss over time by masturbating in past years.
- At night, if one sees dreams pertaining to sexual fantasies, nightfall may be a common occurrence.
Some medical practitioners believe that lack of exposure to sex can result in increased sex drives and fantasies which cause nightfall.
Here are a few symptoms which are an after-effect of the nocturnal emissions:
- Pain in different parts of the body especially, the joints.
- Fatigue and reduced appetite and concentration levels.
- Disruptions in the sleep cycle.
- Indigestion, gastric issues and constipation.
- Nightfall might also result in stunted growth in both the genders.
If nocturnal emissions are controlled, it can result in a healthier mind and better physical growth and sexual stamina, especially in males.
Here are a few techniques which can help in curing/getting rid of them:
- A proper diet can ensure strength that you might have lost due to nightfall.
- Practicing Yoga and meditation regularly before going to sleep can also help in getting rid of the emissions.
- Consuming ripe leaves of bottle gourd can help in curing insomnia and getting rid of the nocturnal emissions.
If these home remedies do not provide effects you need to consult a sexologist which will completely diagnose and predict the proper cause in your case for persistent nightfall and suggest you the best appropriate treatment for you.