By- Sneh Hospital, IVF Speciality
The process of IVF or in-vitro fertilization can be financially burdensome along with giving you emotional and psychological stress. Therefore, couples going for IVF treatment are often advised to take the requisite preparations to increase their chances of getting pregnant.
Here are some tips to help you prepare -
- Giving up smoking and drinking- To increase the chances of pregnancy, both men and women are advised to quit smoking and drinking before and during the period of IVF treatment. Smoking causes a decrease in sperm count. In women, smoking may affect the quality of eggs and also the womb lining, thereby increasing the chance of miscarriage.
- Nutrient-rich foods- Having and maintaining a proper diet is essential for the overall health of women and men. Having iron-rich and fertility-enhancing foods will help in improving blood supply to the embryo.
- Vitamins- Vitamins are essential and necessary for women to improve the quality of eggs and create a fertile environment. Prenatal vitamins like folic acid, iron supplements and magnesium and calcium are vital for the growth of a healthy baby.
- Sleep- Getting an adequate amount of sleep is essential for a healthy body and mind. Therefore, it is necessary to have a proper sleep cycle where you go to bed at a designated time and get up at a fixed time every day. Do not take any gadgets or your laptop in the bedroom for a sound sleep.
- Detox and take less stress- It has been noticed that higher stress levels affect the reproductive cycle of men and women. Therefore, to reduce psychological and emotional stress, try to spend some alone time and with each other. Take pleasure in doing simple tasks together or by not doing anything at all. You can even try meditation, yoga, and spa to relax and unwind.
- Exercise- Exercise can be beneficial for relieving stress and maintaining a normal body mass index (BMI) and weight. However, avoid doing strenuous or heavy cardio or pilates. Instead, go for cycling, swimming or jogging to maintain a healthy heart and body.
- Day of implantation- Wake up with a positive mind and attitude. You should have warm nourishing foods like porridges and soups. Try to take as much rest as possible to keep your cortisol level down.
During IVF treatment, you will be given hormonal injections and be required to visit your doctors frequently, therefore following these lifestyle changes will help you and your partner cope with the whole process.